Promoting market systems development and growth is fundamental to Mercy Corps' work around the world.
We take a progressive approach to improving economic well-being along the entire development spectrum. After disaster, in humanitarian crises, or in mature markets, we build systems that foster sustainability and scale, even in the most fragile and complex environments. We work with farmers, entrepreneurs, financial service providers and other key community stakeholders to ensure individuals and businesses can capitalize on economic opportunities and develop productive economic relationships.
Our focus areas
The Markets, Economic Recovery, and Growth (MERG) Technical Support Unit encompasses five complementary technical teams:
- Agriculture: helping small farmers and pastoralists increase their productivity, adapt to climate change and produce and consume nutritious food
- Economic Coping and Recovery: advancing market-aware emergency response and cash transfer programming
- Employment and Entrepreneurship: promoting relevant, demand-driven skills and linking people to safe, decent, and equitable work
- Financial Inclusion: enabling currently underserved populations to fully participate in their local and national economies through access and usage to a broad range of financial services
- Market Systems Development: addressing the underlying causes of market dysfunction to reduce poverty
Concentrating on these five areas enables us to address the challenges and issues that are most critical to the communities where we work. Learn about our market systems development approach here.
South Sudan, Uganda: Facing Up to the Challenges
Building off the experience of a 12-month market systems development pilot responding to the latest influx of South Sudanese refugees in Uganda's West Nile region, this paper reflects on the challenges and learning questions teams face when designing, implementing and evaluating market programmes in the context of wider relief efforts.
Jordan: Making Mobile Money Work For All
Download the full report here ▸
Kenya: Towards a Digital Workforce: Understanding the Building Blocks of Kenya's Gig Economy
Mercy Corps has been working with tech innovators in Kenya to test and support tech-enabled solutions that have the potential to address the youth unemployment challenge.
Ethiopia: Market Systems Development in Ethiopia
This impact brief describes how we have applied market systems development approaches in livestock markets, financial services and in humanitarian contexts in Ethiopia to improve the lives of more than 5 million vulnerable people.
South Sudan, Uganda: A Step Towards Resilience: Pioneering Market Systems Development in Humanitarian Response
Read the learning brief ▸
Iraq: Evidencing the Value for Money of the CCI’s Cash and Legal Programmes
Read the Full Report ▸
Jordan: Financial Inclusion: Technology’s Role in Accessing Financial Services
Nepal: Testing the added value of market incentives on Disaster Risk Reduction in Western Nepal
Read the Full Report ▸
Indonesia, Nepal, Niger: Measuring Gender Dynamics in Resilience: Tools for integrating gender into resilience-focused programs
Download the Full Toolkit▸
Nepal, Niger: Household Dialogue Toolkit
Read the Full Report▸ English |