China is rapidly emerging as a leading economic power and an important player in the humanitarian and development space.
While China’s growing economy has created new opportunities for many, the widening gap between rich and poor has created new social and economic challenges, specifically for vulnerable people in rural areas and migrant youth in urban areas who have yet to see the benefits of the nation’s economic growth.
Access to stable livelihoods and adequate services remains a serious challenge, and addressing social disparities is a high priority. China is prone to natural disasters and experiences frequent earthquakes, landslides, droughts and floods. The impacts of climate change are increasing the severity of these hazards. Chinese civil society aims to create improved social services, but lacks capacity to meet the needs of the population.
Today, Mercy Corps is focused on working with Chinese civil-society and private-sector partners to positively impact communities in China and around the globe. Our ongoing partnership with the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation has greatly increased local humanitarian and development capacity.
While Mercy Corps’ work in China is solely through partnership with local actors, we have a long history of direct programme implementation in the country. For 16 years, Mercy Corps worked in China to meet urgent needs after disaster and to help communities build back stronger.
- Emergency response: Following natural disasters such as the 2008 Wenchuan, 2010 Yushu and 2013 Ya’an and 2014 Yunnan earthquakes:
- Delivered critical supplies such as non-food items and hygiene kits.
- Assisted with rebuilding infrastructure and worked with communities to reduce the risk and impact of future disasters.
- Trained community members to identify children who experience trauma after disaster and provide curriculum to help young people recover.
- Agricultural market development: Provided services to boost agricultural productivity. Developed e-commerce and farming cooperatives to grow the incomes of smallholder farmers through community-led, market-driven solutions. Worked with financial service providers to increase smallholder farmers’ access to credit, payments and savings.
- Young people & women: Empowered female and youth migrant workers by teaching job and life skills, financial and business literacy and health education. Encouraged employers to invest in the health and well-being of their female workers.
China: Reaching families after deadly quake strikes Yunnan province
Mercy Corps is working to rush essential supplies to families in need after a 6.5 earthquake displaced more than 200,000 in rural China.
China: Progress report: Rebuilding communities one year after quake
One year after an earthquake devastated rural China, we're looking back on the recovery effort and looking ahead toward long-term rebuilding.
China: Celebrating recovery in communities rattled by earthquake
As China welcomes the New Year, we're celebrating the progress made to help children heal since an April 2013 earthquake rocked their rural villages.
China: Kindergartens at heart of post-earthquake recovery
School supplies are helping schools reopen while we train educators how to better prepare for the next emergency.
China: Ya'an earthquake response: Partnering to reach families in need
Nearly two months later, people are still living in tents, their homes destroyed — but many partners have joined us to help these communities recover and rebuild.
China: Hygiene kits help earthquake survivors in remote villages
“People are so excited they arrive early to help unload the kits and wait anxiously for their names to be called to receive them,” said emergency response team member Liu Xiao.
China: Families finding hope after quake
Our emergency response team has traveled to some of the most remote villages that were destroyed in the 7.0 Ya'an earthquake. See how families are coping and how we're helping them recover.
China: Notes from the epicenter of the Ya'an earthquake
After gathering firsthand accounts from hard-hit villages, our teams are focused on needs for clean water and support of mothers and children.
China: Assessing emergency needs after deadly earthquake in Sichuan province
A 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit China's Sichuan province on Saturday, killing at least 200 people and injuring more than 14,000.
China: All-China Youth Federation Delegation to Oregon, June 2010
Mercy Corps has worked with the All-China Youth Federation (ACYF) to develop the Social Innovator Leadership Programme.